Nowadays, the popularity of the electronics industry has extended to computers, which utilise metals with significant hardness and longevity. Sheet metals are widely put through comprehensive cold processes to create specific shapes for computer enclosures.
What is a Computer Enclosure?
A computer enclosure is generally an internal or external box holding PC peripherals such as hard drives. It also safely houses other components like monitors, keyboards, and mice to make operations modern and easy. Enclosures also protect computers from harsh environmental conditions. Keep reading to learn the benefits of enclosures.
Metal Fabrication of PC Enclosures
Metal fabrication starts with an idea to design and construct a structure that satisfies specific issues presented by a problem. A sheet metal service uses high-quality materials, cutting-edge machines, and handy professionals to’
- Cut sheets for computer enclosures. The machine uses lasers to cut blanks with no setup time.
- Form blanks using CNC press brake machines. A laser press forms complex parts for computer-enclosed enclosures quickly and with a high degree of accuracy.
- Weld some metal enclosures using MIG welding or TIG welding. Professionals then perform a debarring process to clean the edges of the metal.
- Stamp small metal objects using presses when they increase in volume. The machines have automatic technology for dye protection and coil-feeding controls.
- Powder-coat metal computer enclosures in the final stages of sheet metal fabrication. The process includes a wide range of textures and colours to produce enclosures with great aesthetics.
Sheet metal fabrication for computer enclosures is available in various custom options, such as:
- Air conditioning and internal heating use computers to range from -5° to +40°.
- Fixed or sliding keyboard trays with waterproof capabilities and an integrated mouse.
- Extra safety lock options to protect computers from high theft risks.
- Stand or wall mountings for more convenience.
- A wide range of computer enclosure sizes to house widescreen monitors from 17″.
You can choose from large, slimline, and standard varieties for the perfect fit and use less space in tight environments.
With multiple bespoke options, fabricated sheet enclosures easily match your preferences to the demands of your location. The benefits you enjoy are also worth mentioning.
Functions of Sheet Metal-Fabricated Computer Enclosures
Following high demands in the computing industry, metal fabricators have come up with computer enclosure ideas to cope with hostile environmental elements. The products have the following roles:
- Protect computers from dust, dirt, oil, grime, strong water jets, and grease. Metal fabricators rate different types of enclosures depending on the environment (including explosive atmospheres). Some enclosures can also be immersed in water for hours without damaging the machine inside.
- Absorb shocks, vibrations, and other forms of tampering by using robust metal fabrication materials. Shock-absorbing bolts are used to secure the computer.
- Enclosures can also be locked and securely bolted to walls or floors to prevent theft.
- Extra heating and cooling units are convenient for computing in extreme temperatures. Professionals include vents as escape points for fan air and to cool down computer hardware when it overheats. Otherwise, too much heat might possibly cause the entire computer system to malfunction. The enclosures can also be returned to fabricators for an upgrade if the units malfunction.
- Computers sealed in enclosures are cheaper than industrial computers. They are durable, with zero internal failures, to house three generations of computers.
- Fabricated computer enclosures can be customised to keep machine peripherals like keyboards, mice, and large computing equipment such as printers and monitors.
- Any repairs to fabricated enclosures can be done in-house without interfering with production or damaging conventional computers.
- Noisy computer parts like fans stay in enclosed spaces to reduce the noise they make.
With the high demand for multiple computer enclosure varieties, you might find it hard to choose the ideal piece.
Factors to Consider When Selecting Metal-Fabricated Computer Enclosures
When selecting computer enclosures fabricated from sheet metal, it would be best to consider:
Your Computer’s Shape and Size
Choose a fabricated computer enclosure depending on your machine’s shapes and sizes. T-shaped or rectangular pieces are the most common types. Stackable standardised shapes and dimensions are also available and can be custom fabricated to various specifications.
The Enclosure Material
The material used for making computer enclosures significantly affects durability and overall protection. It can be made of polymers, metals, or other rugged materials to withstand harsh shop floor environments. In light of that, fabricated sheet metals exhibit higher electricity and heat conductivity. The most common metals for computer enclosures are:
- Steel: because of its malleability and strength.
- Stainless steel: has lightweight and corrosion-resistant properties.
- Aluminium, which is cheaper, lightweight, and a better conductor with great oxidation resistance.
Your Facility’s Demands
The ideal computer enclosure depends on your team’s demands. For instance, explosive environments call for ATEX enclosures to withstand aggressive shocks. Choose a sheet metal set up that specifically works for refrigerated atmospheres, washdowns, and sterile environments.
The sheet metal you choose for computer enclosures ultimately comes down to price.
Most fabricated metals have similar prices, except stainless steel. It is more expensive because of the presence of chrome and nickel content. If you are price-conscious, you would want to consider more cost-effective sheet metals like aluminium and steel. The two mainly apply for outdoor purposes as they are extremely durable and can resist corrosion.
The materials also have other ultra-finishes to fabricate enclosures that will be mainly used outside. That entails partial and full submersions in water, explosive surroundings, or especially heated temperatures. While at it, it’s important to note that the corrosion resistance rates of sheet metals vary when exposed to harsh chemicals, moisture, and UV light.
Weight is crucial for determining the most suitable sheet materials for custom computer enclosures. Let’s say you need to move with your machine from one field to another to take measurements. Such a scenario demands lightweight enclosures to avoid additional weights. Their weight, and that of your machines and equipment combined, is also worth considering.
While functionality trumps design for any sheet metal fabricated computer enclosure in prototyping, it wouldn’t hurt to include an aesthetic appeal. That’s one factor that defines professionalism in manufacturing computer enclosures. A wide range of custom finishing options makes a difference in achieving uniqueness and approval from potential customers.
When looking for fabricated computer enclosures, take care to choose standard solutions fabricated using the best grade metals. Highly versatile and adaptable options will cater to your specific needs.