In the United States, to sell a product with electromagnetic emissions (that is, any electrical or electronic product), that product must comply with the regulations in force of the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). The FCC brand, label, and declaration of conformity are different ways of referring to certification. In many cases, the certification is granted by the manufacturer. That is, the manufacturer declares that the product is in compliance with the current rules.
This regulation is the equivalence of the CE marking of the European Union and other similar certificates of other countries.
It is very common for user manuals to keep references to the FCC regulations, even if these specific manuals are intended for use in other countries. Therefore, regardless of the country in question, it is very convenient for the technical translator to be familiar with the basic procedures of the FCC and with the various types of labels and certificates of conformity.
Depending on the type of product, the regulations require more or less demanding procedures. For example, for television, it is enough for the manufacturer to make a series of measurements and declare that the equipment meets the FCC specifications. In the case of equipment that is more likely to cause electromagnetic interference, such as a microwave oven, it is necessary for a certification body to inspect the equipment and issue a specific authorization.
There are four levels of authorization:
Verification. For the simplest equipment. The manufacturer himself performs the measurements.
Declaration of Conformity. An accredited laboratory must test the equipment.
Certification. The manufacturer provides certain information and measurement data to a telecommunications certification body approved by the FCC and the agency issues an authorization for the equipment.
Others. There is certain equipment that is subject to special regulations, such as the measurement equipment used in the previous certifications.
Types of FCC Certification
- FCC Energy Certification communication: Power supply, switching power supply, charger, LED display power supply, LCD, power supply, UPS uninterruptible power supply, etc
- FCC Certification of dim light lamps, via light, garden light, portable light, light, street LED light, desk lamp, LED spotlight, LED light bulb, street light, LED tube light, LED lamps, etc
- FCC appliances certification: Fans, electric kettle, audio, televisions, mice, vacuum cleaners , etc …
- FCC electronic certification: Earplugs, routers, mobile phones, laser batteries, pens, vibrators, etc;
- FCC certification communications products: Telephones, wired telephones, fax machines, answering machines, and other communications products.
- FCC certification of wireless products: Bluetooth BT products, tablet PCs, wireless connection keyboards, wireless transmitters, wireless microphones, remote controls, and other wireless power products.
- Wireless communication products FCC certification: 2G mobile phones, 3G mobile phones, 3.5G DECT mobile phones, mobile phones, 1.9G band (1.8G), wireless intercom connection, etc
- FCC Machinery certification: Gasoline engine, welding machine, lawnmower, bulldozers, elevators, drilling machine, dishwasher, water treatment equipment, printing machinery, rotary drilling equipment, lawnmowers, snowplows, excavators, printers, rollers, irons, food, lawnmowers, etc
CSIA offers more information related to FCC and other certifications!