The property management business is booming. Along with the development, a large number of competitors enter the market. To keep the leading position, the owners are thinking about saving energy resources.
For these purposes, two effective systems have been used in the world for a long time – BMS (Building Management System) and BEMS (Building energy management system). Besides, developers also use another specific product – EMS (Energy Saving system).
What is the difference between BEMS and BMS?
The BEMS system is designed for complex management of energy resources and building equipment, based on the following principles:
- Management is carried out using an application installed on a PC.
- Depending on the tasks set, the software monitors and changes the operating parameters of lighting, ventilation, power supply, and other types of engineering communications.
- The purpose of the system of this category is to provide effective energy savings.
- BMS largely repeats the functions of BEMS, but at the same time has several differences:
- Not related to energy saving and energy efficiency.
- Under the control of the system are various modules that ensure the comfort and safety of users.
- The system requires control, the presence of mechanisms and actuators, or the presence of a person to read the alarm signal.
Both systems are widely used in practice, and the demand for them has not fallen for many years.
How to choose the right control system?
To select the correct control system, it is necessary to take into account several important nuances in the design of the project and the analysis of the task from the customer:
- The need to control the operation of energy-consuming installations.
- Device management in automatic mode.
- The establishment of an M2M connection, when the whole process takes place without human intervention.
- The complexity of the engineering equipment of the building.
- The technology of using space.
- The budget of the customer, which affects the estimate, the type of system, and the calendar plan for the step-by-step implementation of the product.
The main task of any developer is to minimize the human factor, as well as to eliminate errors in building management.
What are the disadvantages of each of the described systems?
The building management system, the principle of which is built without the use of IoT technology, has the following disadvantages:
- Increased power consumption by the system itself, operating from the power cable network.
- High cost of equipment.
- Not always standard solutions are suitable for the user, which requires the participation of the developer.
- Lack of full scaling capability.
- Proportionate cost growth as the business expands.
- The complexity of management, which requires hiring high-qualified staff or training new people in special centers, which also entails costs.
- Most types of equipment depend on a single receiving center, the difficulty of providing remote access.
- Experts have calculated that the BMS system pays off in at least 3-5 years since direct costs and overhead costs significantly exceed energy savings. In this regard, not every developer or rental business owner can afford to integrate such technologies, since the costs, in all cases, are borne by the end-user.
In this regard, to achieve efficiency and save energy, most large rentiers have long been looking for optimal and inexpensive solutions for automating property management systems.
What are the most effective building management systems?
In recent years, the EMS and BMS systems are increasingly being introduced into the Internet of things technologies with cloud storage and lightning-fast data transfer to remote execution devices.
The systems enable the scanning of temperature and humidity sensors, the level of illumination, and other changes in the functional parameters of buildings.
According to the analysis of the IoT technologies market by leading experts, the implementation of these control systems provides the fastest return on investment for the investor. In this regard, the global market for this hardware, peripherals and wireless communications based on progressive IT solutions is worth trillions of dollars.
Various sensors scan the boundary parameters of ventilation systems, water supply, lighting, electrical cable networks, and other communications. After that, the signals are converted into a digital code and transmitted via communication channels to the executive devices.
Depending on the needs of the consumer, these signals can either notify those responsible for the health of the equipment or be converted into a set of commands to perform a specific action.
Benefits of implementing IoT in building management systems
The popularity of IoT in modern building management systems is due to the presence of several important advantages:
- Remote control system for technological processes occurring at a residential or commercial property from any stationary or mobile device from anywhere in the world.
- Most of the equipment associated with the functioning of the Internet of Things is connected via a low-voltage network, which significantly reduces energy consumption.
- Possibility to provide protection against voltage surges and achieve complete stabilization of the cable network.
- Monitoring is done in real-time. Each simple sensor has a wide radius of action and gives an instant signal at the slightest disturbance in operation. This significantly reduces the risk of serious breakdowns and allows timely maintenance of the equipment.
- As for residential buildings, with such a modern level of equipment of real estate objects, residents are happy to buy apartments without hesitation. In this way, such a system indirectly increases the level of investment attractiveness of real estate.
- Low cost of IP sensors, cable products, and basic equipment as well as the expenses for its operating.
- The simple interface allows to hire the of cheap staff, which can manage the building without any problems.
The main advantage of such systems is their relatively low cost and fast payback period – within a few months after implementation and commissioning, the consumer fully pays for his expenses by saving energy resources and paying utility bills.
Our development team will help you purchase ready-made solutions from the world’s most famous manufacturers based on brainstorming with the customer and compiling a questionnaire. If the consumer, due to the features of the functional purpose and technology in the building, doesn’t fit any of the proposed options, it is possible to re-flash the system with the introduction of innovative developments.
More and more business owners around the world are gradually following to IoT when managing the energy saving of a building, proving the effectiveness and profitability of these solutions from personal experience.