OpenVPN is a great VPN protocol. It is safe, reliable and it is compatible with most VPN routers. However, it has one major caveat, its resource consuming, which means that it does not offer fast enough performance for VPN users with high expectations regarding speed.
This is where WireGuard comes into the picture. WireGuard is the world’s fastest VPN protocol, and it’s also just as safe and reliable as the OpenVPN protocol.
4 things you need to reach 1 Gbit/s with a VPN router
- A VPN service with support for WireGuard
Most major VPN providers offer support for WireGuard, but not all. We recommend OVPN as VPN provider but IVPN is also a good choice. They offer full support for WireGuard and have also tweaked the protocol to be especially safe, fast and reliable. OVPN supports port forwarding over WireGuard which IVPN is currently lacking.
- A VPN router with support for WireGuard
Most consumer routers offer too weak hardware specifications to provide you with a good VPN experience, and the install process required is often not very user friendly. And lastly, most consumer routers do not offer support WireGuard.
More specifically, you need a router with powerful hardware specifications and a user-friendly interface. Vilfo is the world’s most powerful router for VPN use, and that router will also support WireGuard somewhere around the summer of 2022.
If you do not want to buy a Vilfo router, you generally must install a new software on your router, such as DD-WRT or OpenWrt to use a VPN on it. Several Asus routers support can be flashed with OpenWrt but WireGuard will also natively come to their OS some time in 2022 for certain device models such as RT-AX58U.
- A modern electronic device
You generally cannot reach 1 Gbit/s on an old phone or an old laptop. But if you have a modern electronic device, reaching speeds up to and over 1 Gbit/s when connected to a VPN server should not be an issue.
- A fast internet connection
To reach 1000 Mbit/s when connected to a VPN, you must pay for a 1000 Mbit/s internet connection.
How to reach 1 Gbit/s when using the Vilfo router
Vilfo is made by the same team that made OVPN, so we’ll use them as a basis. It’s possible to purchase Vilfo’s VPN hardware, but also install their OS on your own compatible hardware. Vilfo OS is a great alternative to pfSense since it’s much easier to use.
Vilfo offers a seamless install process that takes minutes, and that is compatible with over 20 VPN providers. If you opt to buy an ordinary consumer router from for example Asus or Netgear, you usually must download and install configuration files to make things work, which is time consuming and a hard task to complete for beginners.
How to get started with Vilfo
- Visit Vilfo.com and buy their router. At the time of writing, you will have to pay $399 for a Vilfo router. The price is steep, but since Vilfo is the best router that is niched for VPN use, it is still a solid purchase. If you already own compatible hardware, you can instead purchase their OS.
- Activate your router via the automated install process that Vilfo offers.
- Select your VPN provider, for example OVPN, IVPN or Surfshark. Note that you can change VPN provider at any time within the Vilfo interface.
- Connect to a VPN server and browse the web anonymously. Note that you can use multiple VPN connections with the Vilfo router. That is a unique function that the Vilfo team can offer because they have tweaked their version to perfection.