Home offices are often repurposed spaces in a house, such as spare bedrooms, converted attics, and basements that allow people to do computer-based office work from home. This dedicated space may contain a desk, a large work surface, such as a conference table, and a chair.
While there is nothing wrong with this arrangement, here are some suggestions on how to lift a bare-bones home office to feel more professional, look more attractive, and be more functional.
4 Ways to Make Your Home Office Feel More Professional
Since it’s hard to make your office feel like an actual workplace, here are five pro tips to make it feel more professional.
- Set up your monitor properly. Working in front of a good monitor setup can increase job satisfaction. Many people do not have the proper ergonomic arrangement for their monitor. Over time, this can cause a variety of health problems, such as neck and upper back pain, eye strain, chronic exhaustion, and backaches. Something as simple as choosing the right monitor stand can make all the difference to your productivity.
- Use a professional-grade mechanical keyboard. Not all keyboards are alike. Some companies take their keyboards to another level. For instance, the Ducky One 3 series has the following QUACK design features: stain-resistant keycaps with frosted surfaces, construction optimized for stability and precision, special acoustics to get the typist into a flow state, and fine-tuned stabilizers.
- Use an ergonomic chair. Ergonomic chairs improve posture and reduce back pain, which frequently occurs after sitting at a desk for hours. A well-designed chair will support your body to prevent acute lower back pain after a long day of sedentary work.
- Don’t rely on your hard drive alone. Many people believe in the importance of having a backup because hard drives can fail and lose all your data. However, if you back up your files on the cloud, your files will be safe. The cloud makes all your files available and accessible at any time and from anywhere that has an internet connection.
Make Your Home Office More Attractive
The following are ways to make your office look neat, clean, and organized:
- Make sure you have enough room lighting so you can always see what you are doing at your desk, like reading or writing notes. Ideally, don’t rely on artificial light alone, but select a room with natural lighting for your home office.
- Keep your desk free of clutter.
- Position your desk beside or in front of a window if you have a lovely view.
- Get inspired by researching home office design ideas.
Make Your Home Office More Functional
The traditional home office was once a space for work. But now, with the rise of the digital nomad, many people work from their homes. This has led to an increase in demand for more functional offices.
The best way to create a more efficient space is to consider the type of work that you do there. If you need room for storing your books, then add shelves to your walls; if you need room for all your computer accessories and stationery, then add cabinets with wheels; and if you need to print, fax, or copy, then add a multifunction printer.
A Final Touch
If space allows, make your office more welcoming, a comfortable place to enjoy your work. So, if you have a large blank wall, add inspirational wall art; if you have plenty of window shelves, add potted plants; and if you have plenty of space, add an armchair and a side table.
The right home office design can set you up for success and help you be more productive. Take a little time to make sure yours meets your needs.