Did you know HP makes solid state drives? We actually reviewed a standard 2.5-inch SSD of theirs back in 2017 and today we are back with a super-fast M.2 NVMe drive. This drive is the SSD EX950 which features the Silicon Motion SM2262EN controller matched with Micron’s 64-layer TLC flash. This gives the drive sequential performance up to 3500 MB/s read and 2900 MB/s write. With the 2TB version being only $289.99 at the time of writing it is a very competitive drive not only in terms of price, but also performance. Let’s get this drive installed and see what it can do!
– M. 2 2280, HP controller Offering with 8 flash memory channels that support PC 3. 1 x4 and NV Me 1. 3
– Sequential read/write speeds up to 3, 500 Mbps/ 2, 900 Mbps, an industry top leading reliability (MTBF) 2M hours, and endurance (TBW) up to 1400 TBW
– Higher order LDPC error Correction for high speed parallel decoding and real time error Correction to ensure data integrity and security
– Works on all Windows PC, Full compatibility with host. Exe (HP software pre-installation environment). Ideal upgrade for HP PCs
– Manufactured to HP high quality standards and fully tested and CERTIFIED in HP laboratories. Not intended for use in HP workstations
The SSD EX950 comes in some pretty nice packaging, with a picture of the product on the front with the capacity, and on the back there is a list of specifications and a few other things.
Opening the box and getting everything out we just have the drive and a quick start guide.