As I said in our last graphics card review we are in a sort of launch season for graphics cards and the card we are taking a look at today will be the last card coming out as part of that launch season. The card is of course the NVIDIA RTX 4080 Super graphics card. NVIDIA’s “Super” cards are their refresh for the RTX 40 series. While some of the graphics cards that are part of this refresh will live alongside their non-Super counterparts, this card will essentially be replacing the RTX 4080 in the product stack. This card is still going to be based off NVIDIA’s AD103 silicon, but we now have 80 compute units available, giving us a total of 10240 CUDA cores, 320 Tensor cores, 80 RT cores, 304 TMUs, and 112 ROPs. You are going to get the same 16GB of GDDR6X across a 256-bit memory bus, but it will be faster 23 Gbps memory. The great thing about this card is that NVIDIA is setting the MSRP $200 cheaper than what the original RTX 4080 launched at, so you’ll be able to pick it up a MSRP model for $999. Today we are taking a look at the ASUS ROG Strix RTX 4080 Super OC, which will sit as their flagship RTX 4080 Super card. This card comes with a factory overclock of 2640 MHz for the boost clock and even an OC mode that brings that up to 2670 MHz. On top of that you have their massive triple-fan cooling solution and all of those ROG features we love! Let’s take a look!
– Powered by NVIDIA DLSS3, ultra-efficient Ada Lovelace arch, and full ray tracing
– 4th Generation Tensor Cores: Up to 4x performance with DLSS 3 vs. brute-force rendering
– 3rd Generation RT Cores: Up to 2X ray tracing performance
– OC mode: 2670 MHz (OC mode)/ 2640 MHz (Default mode)
– Axial-tech fans scaled up for 23% more airflow
– New patented vapor chamber with milled heatspreader for lower GPU temps
– 3.5-slot design: massive fin array optimized for airflow from the three Axial-tech fans
– Diecast shroud, frame, and backplate add rigidity and are vented to further maximize airflow and heat dissipation
– Digital power control with high-current power stages and 15K capacitors to fuel maximum performance
– Auto-Extreme precision automated manufacturing for higher reliability
– GPU Tweak III software provides intuitive performance tweaking, thermal controls, and system monitoring
The ROG Strix RTX 4080 Super OC Graphics Card comes in ASUS’s typical graphics card retail packaging. On the front we have a picture of the card and it says RTX 4080 Super with the “Super” being silver. While this card will replace the RTX 4080 eventually if you are at the store make sure you look for the silver “Super” emblem so you are picking up the latest card. This is also the OC edition and ASUS lets us know that on the packaging as well. They will have a non-OC edition, so if you want the fastest card be sure to pick up the OC edition.
Flipping over the back, many of the features of the card are detailed and we do have a full breakdown of the ports.
Getting everything out of the box we of course have the graphics card, a triple 8-pin PCIe to 12VHPWR power cable, a set of velcro ties, die-cast GPU support, quick start guide, and thank you card.