I tested the headphones using some of today’s top games, including Call of Duty: Black Ops, BFBC2 and Medal of Honor. I found the audio and positioning to be quite accurate and very precise in detail. In all the games, I could hear enemies both close and far and accurately judge not only their positions, but also distance as well. I used the mic in Ventrillo and Teamspeak 3, both programs used for competitive gaming online, and never once experienced a hiccup or problem. In fact I was told by some of my teammates that the audio sounded clearer than normal. I was truly surprised by this, especially since there was no mic boost property setting to enhance the sound input like others. That being said I did have to set the sound input level to 60-70%, which is a quite a bit higher then I’m used to having it at.
I also tested these headphones to listen to some of my favorite movies, and really noticed a tremendous difference in clarity of some scenes, especially noticing small details when high powered explosions where happening, and never once heard a distortion, no matter what I had the volume cranked up to. I most likely attribute these to the 50mm drivers as opposed to the 40mm drivers I’m used to hearing. I even heard some previously unheard of noises/grunts from Scotty’s little gremlin like cohort in Star Trek (2009), which was a big surprise to someone that’s watched the movie like umpteen times since its release.
The Corsair HS1 USB Gaming Headset is one of the best all-around packages I’ve seen to date. Its software fully compliments the hardware without causing problems or interrupts in gameplay. The Corsair HS1 is affordably priced for the gaming audiophile, and delivers exceptional volume and quality for its price point. The sound coming from the headset made me feel like I was actually sitting in a theatre during movies, and easily helped me locate and target enemies in multiplayer gaming situations. I literally wore this headset for 8+ hours or more during my thanksgiving time gaming sessions and never once felt uncomfortable in the slightest. Overall ThinkComputers gives the Corsair HS1 USB Gaming Headset a 9 out of 10 score.
- Designed with long term gaming session in mind, never pinched or hurt my ears during use
- Plenty of options with configurable software (including fun voice effects)
- Gave clear and accurate positioning of enemies in game
- Cord is super long with Velcro tie/wrap to shorten if needed
- Great value for the price point, Not just great for gaming, but also good In Movies and music
- No control over anything but volume/ mic mute without alt-tabbing out of game
- No control over amping up rear speaker sounds (desirable to make sure enemy footsteps sneaking up behind you are heard over gunfire in FPS games)