With the Z390 launch MSI has introducing a new naming scheme for their motherboards. At the top of their product stack is their MEG models which include their “Godlike”, “Creation” boards. In the middle you have the “MPG” series which includes their “Carbon” boards, and finally you have MAG (Arsenal Gaming), which will include their “Tomahawk” and “Mortar” boards. MAG is setup to be mid-range, but still pack in a lot of features. Today we are checking out the first MAG board from MSI, the MAG Z390 Tomahawk. This board has a very aggressive look which lends itself to gamers and MSI has added the pre-installed I/O shield as well. You are also going to get dual M.2 slots (one with an M.2 cooler), USB 3.1 support, dual Intel LAN, USB 3.1 gen 2, and of course RGB lighting. Read on to see if this is the Z390 board for you.
– Supports 9th / 8th Gen Intel® Core™ / Pentium® Gold / Celeron® processors for LGA 1151 socket
– Supports DDR4 Memory, up to 4400(OC) MHz
– Integrated I/O design: Pre-installed I/O Shielding for convenient installation. Extended Heatsink Design ensures even high-end processors to run in full speed.
– Premium Network Connection: Dual Intel LAN for both intranet and internet, Intel CNVi Ready
– Lightning Fast Game experience: 2x TURBO M.2, Intel Optane Memory Ready. M.2 Shield Frozr, Intel Turbo USB 3.1 GEN2
– Set Core Power Free: Core Boost, 8+4 pin CPU power connector, DDR4 Boost
– MYSTIC LIGHT: 16.8 million colors / 29 effects controlled in one click. MYSTIC LIGHT EXTENSION supports both RGB and RAINBOW LED strip.
The MSI MAG Z390 Tomahawk comes in a nice retail box, on the front there is what appears to be a Tomahawk missile.
Flipping over to the back there is a photo of the board and many of the features are detailed. There is also an overview of the I/O ports.
Getting everything out of the box as far as accessories go you have two SATA cables, an RGB extension cable, MSI Gaming case badge, screws for the M.2 slots, a driver and software CD, quick installation guide, and users’s guide.