In a world full of hackers and Russian bots, the only thing more important to us than our personal data is securing that data. Whether it be pictures, personal messages, or documents, we all have something that requires that little bit of added security to it. Companies like iStorage understand how important personal security really is. So, when they offered up their Datashur BT secured USB flash drive for review, we were excited to get our hands on it to see how they went about securing a USB flash drive. The DATASHUR BT from iStorage is a 64 GB USB 3.2 (Gen 1) hardware-encrypted flash drive that you unlock using a smartphone or other device via Bluetooth. The DATASHUR BT from iStorage is compatible with both Andriod, iPhone, IOS, Windows, Chrome OS, Linux, Citrix, and VMWARE. So, regardless of what operating system you are running, iStorage has you covered. Now, this all sounds well and good. However, like anything else that runs off Bluetooth, there are always questions of connectivity. I’m sure we’ve all had our issues when trying to pair a device to say a Bluetooth headset for example. So even though this is a storage device, this review will focus less on the raw performance of the DATASHUR BT and more on the security features and connectivity of the drive. Now let’s get into the review and see how the DATASHUR BT from iStorage performed and just how secure the hardware encryption actually is.
Hardware encrypted USB flash drive
USB 3.2 Gen 1
Data transfer rates2
Read: 170 MB/s | Write: 130 MB/s
3.7V Li-Polymer Rechargeable Battery
16 GB32 GB64 GB128 GB
Dimensions – H/W/D
60 mm / 18 mm / 7.5 mm
Operating system compatibility
MS Windows, macOS, Linux, Chrome, Android, Thin Clients, Zero Clients, Embedded Systems, Citrix and VMware
Hardware data encryption
AES-XTS 256-bit full disk hardware encryption
FIPS 140-2 Level 3 (Pending Q1 2021)
3 years warranty with free lifetime technical support
XX = drive size in GBs
*All listed capacities, within the datAshur range is used for formatting and other functions and thus is not available for data storage. As such, the actual available capacity for data storage is less than what is listed on the products.
• Military grade AES-XTS 256-bit hardware encryption (FIPS compliant) in real-time
• Access to the drive is protected using Bluetooth authentication (FIPS compliant) via any smartphone/tablet (iOS/Android) or Apple Watch
• Lock/unlock using a 7-15-character password or Biometric unlock (Face ID/Facial recognition, Touch ID/Fingerprint and IRIS scanning) from the iStorage datAshur BT Personal App or Managed App
• User app supports 12 languages
• Supports 2-Factor Authentication via SMS
• Remote management ready via the iStorage Remote Management Console
• OS & host independent
• FIPS 140-2 Level 3 compliant design and technology – all critical components are covered by a layer of super tough epoxy resin
• USB 3.2 (Gen 1) data transfer speeds – backward compatible with older USB interfaces
• Automatic antivirus – iStorage DriveSecurity® Powered by ESET free 1-year license included
• FIPS PUB 197 certified
• Immune to BadUSB
• IP57 certified (dust & waterproof)
• Brute force hack defence mechanism
• Read only (write protect) – Dual Mode
• Password recovery
• User remote wipe / Drive reset
• Step-away auto-lock
The DATASHUR BT from iStorage comes in a small plastic blister package made to hang on a hook of some kind. The actual flash drive placed in the center of the packaging. The iStorage logo is placed at the top left of the blister package to the far left with the DATASHUR BT product branding just below. To the right is the capacity of the drive. In the case of our sample, we received a 64 GB flash drive. Down the left side of the front of the blister package is a list of some of the features of the DATASHUR BT including the 3-year warranty. Across the bottom is a list of all the platforms the DATASHUR BT is compatible with including Windows, IOS, Linux, and VMWARE to name a few.
Looking at the back of the package for the iStorage DATASHUR BT, we see the same iStorage logo and DATASHUR BT product branding at the top left, with the 64 GB capacity to the right. The back of the packaging has a simplified diagram of how to set up the DATASHUR BT. There is also a list of the key features of the DATASHUR BT listed on the back of the package. Some of these features include being FIPS Compliant, IP57 rated, and remote management ready just to name a few.
Inside the packaging for the DATASHUR BT, you’ll find a quick start guide for the drive. This guide has step-by-step directions on how to set up your DATASHUR BT. Now, let’s take a closer look at the iStorage DATASHUR BT.